New Program Designed by Leading Oilfield Companies
Petroleum Technology Certificate Program
This is a 900-hour certificate program designed to meet the specific needs of the oil and gas industry in the Uintah Basin Region. Objectives and competencies have been identified by the Petroleum Technology Advisory Committee. The program incorporates national accreditation and/or certification training which will allow students to carry certificates to other regions of the country as needed by their employment. Where appropriate, courses will be similar/standardized with other nationally recognized training programs in order to achieve maximum transferability and recognition for the program.
Testing will be conducted by the UBATC Career Center personnel. Students will need to pass the following competencies: Math, English and Reading at 8th grade level; basic computer skills; and a valid driver’s license. Basic Skills Remediation training is available for students needing to refresh or advance their skill levels.
“Our Advisory Council wants to go on record as strongly supporting the Petroleum Technology Certificate being proposed by the Uintah Basin Applied Technology College (UBATC). We commend the UBATC for a great job of convening and collaborating with the energy company managers to jointly develop a curriculum. The companies should be recognized as well for their commitment of time, student support, and equipment for the program.” – Advisory Council on Workforce Services Uintah Basin
Students will participate in Field Vists, Co-op Work Experience, Outdoor Lab, Well Control Simulators and more.
This program begins yearly, every Fall in late August.
- The Petroleum Technology Program is a structured program (it is NOT open-entry/open-exit)
- The Petroleum Technology Program requires an application. Contact Tammy Smith, Program Assistant, at 435-725-7135 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Petroleum Technology Program is offered at the UBATC Vernal campus
- Evening hours
- Available to Adults
Student Entrance Requirements
8th Grade Math
8th Grade Reading
Pass Basic Computer Skills Test
Have a valid Driver’s License
Fill out program application
Submit certificates & transcripts from prior training
Program Cost Estimate
Books : $478*
Safety Supplies: $40*
Tuition and fees are based on program completion in the hours specified for the program length.
*Tuition, fees, Books & Supplies are subject to change.
There are Financial Aid opportunities for the Petroleum Technology program.
Federal Financial Aid: YES
VA Qualified: YES
It is beneficial for companies to promote employees within the company. It provides for a higher-quality and trained workforce. This program is designed to allow employees within the industry to advance and/or upgrade their technical skills so they will be more qualified for higher paying positions.
Developed in partnership with oil and gas companies to ensure students receive the critical and technical skills training needed for success.
For more information contact: Tammy Smith – Program Assistant, at 435-725-7135 or Wes Porter – Program Cordinator, 435-425-7143
Anadarko Petroleum Corporation
Newfield Exploration Company
Bill Barrett Company
Petroglyph Energy Inc.
Rocky Mountain Consulting
Department of Workforce Services
Utah State University
Crescent Point Energy
- Complete the registration packet and submit a resume to Tammy Smith, Program Assistant, at 435-725-7135 or email at email@example.com.
- Students will need to complete Assessment Testing. To set up a testing time, contact the UBATC Testing Center at either 435-725-7100 or 435-722-6900.
- Petroleum Technology I
- Petroleum Technology II
- Oil and Gas Safety
- Microcomputers for the Energy Industry
- Technical Math
- Wellhead and Surface Equipment
- Fundamentals of Oil and Gas Measurement
- Dehydration and Separation Operations
- Instrumentation and Controls
- Engine and Compressor Operations
- Leadership for the Petroleum Industry
- Business Correspondence
- Cooperative Work Experience